Software Development Manager
About the job
Windward Software is a Canadian software company. We have been developing business management software solutions for our customers for over 35 years. Our head office is nicely situated a stone’s throw away from Skaha Lake Beach in Penticton, B.C. in the beautiful Okanagan Valley. You can be working and living among stunning lakes, wineries, and mountains with access to all the activities the four seasons have to offer. The Okanagan is waiting for you…or you can stay where you are and work remotely.
Windward Software seeks managers and leaders who are curious and love to solve problems. We have fun together; we learn from our failures and we celebrate wins. You are a bit obsessed with your role as a tech leader and continuously develop your skills and knowledge. You expect the same of your people. To build a great company, we hire people and leaders who bring something to our organization that is missing. You are in some way smarter or more skilled at something than we are. We would welcome you to join us in our quest and to provide better solutions to our customers so they can achieve their full potential.
In your role as Software Development Manager, you will have overall responsibility for the strategic and operational management and control of Research and Development. You are a leader who can bring organization, time management and control into your team. You will establish and communicate priorities and keep the team focused on the right work at the right time. You are highly motivated to complete projects and tasks within established deadlines with quality. You strive to build an awesome fun team environment while also managing important projects and creating an environment of urgency. You understand that great people, structure, systems, processes, and good documentation are keys to smooth running operations.
Characteristics we are looking for:
- A highly motivated self-starter with very strong leadership and management skills.
- Proven success in managing large software development teams and projects.
- Enjoy leading and managing people in a team environment. Ability to create an engaged team and can work very effectively using virtual technologies like Microsoft Teams.
- Project management skills have enabled you to consistently hit project completion targets within budget. You are a master at coordinating resources and orchestrating teams to achieve results.
- You enjoy connecting with people to create an inclusive uplifting work atmosphere.
- Confident in your abilities to pinpoint and resolve operational issues. You understand the value of continuous improvements.
- Friendly, accessible, and helpful to your team. Receive feedback openly. You care about people and love to coach and develop those who report to you.
- Enjoy talking with customers and giving them the best experience possible when it comes to working with our products and our people.
- Oversee all aspects of the R&D operations in Canada and the Philippines (QA Team)
- Manage software development, QA, Product Management and all of the daily activities of the R&D team
- Develop departmental plans and provide general operational information and expertise with the management team at meetings and in corporate strategic planning events.
- Ensure project plans are developed, documented, reviewed, and approved for all development projects.
- Responsible for all activities related to growing and managing the Microsoft Partnership and Certifications
- Responsible for filing the Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Incentive Program (SRED) in Canada.
- Responsible for recruiting, managing, evaluating performance, and coaching R&D personnel.
- Ensure software development projects and departmental objectives are achieved on time and within budget.
- Foster and encourage positive, open, honest, timely and effective communication in the team and throughout the organization.
- Develop and maintain contingency and disaster recovery plans for systems and data utilized in R&D in accordance with IT group guidelines.
- B.Sc . in Computer Science or equivalent discipline or industry experience
- 5-10 years of experience successfully managing software development teams and operations.
- Proven organization skills coupled with people management and project management experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience managing the end-to-end software development life cycle and working with software development systems (Microsoft Azure DevOps; Visual Studio)
- Experience leading the software architecture role, software design, quality assurance and product management functions.
- Proven experience successfully implementing and managing agile and waterfall development methodologies.
- Experience developing ERP and/or Business Management Software and solutions is a definite asset.
- 7+ years’ experience in research and development, with a focus on product development
- Experience in filing the Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Incentive Program (SRED) in Canada is a major asset.
- Highly developed engineering skills to translate concepts into timelines and resource requirements.
- Delphi XE2, XE10
- C#, NUnit, XUnit
- Visual Studio Team Services
- GIT version control
- XSL, XML, JSON,
- ASP.NET Core, Web API, MVC
- Pervasive SQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Entity Framework .NET, .NET Core
- Microsoft Azure
If this position suits your personality, skills and experience, we want to talk to you!